Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra

Slovak University of Agriculture - Establishment and Development

tl_files/download/Pictures/Areal/nitra11.jpg

1941 - 1952

The beginnings of higher agricultural education in Slovakia is closely linked with the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava, where the Department of Forestry and Agricultural Engineering was established and lectures started in the academic year 1941/1942. In 1946, the Slovak National Council established a separate University of Agricultural and Forest Engineering (UAFE) in Košice from the Department of Forestry and Agricultural Engineering of the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava.

An important milestone in the history of the Slovak Higher  Agricultural Education was the year 1952, when the reorganization of the university cancelled UAFE in Košice and its faculties created two separate universities – the  University of Agriculture in Nitra and the University of Forestry and Wood Technology in Zvolen.

1952 - 2012

At the beginning, the University of Agriculture in Nitra had two faculties –  the Faculty of Agronomy and the Faculty of Animal Husbandry. The third faculty, (of veterinary medicine), remained in Košice  and in 1969 it became a separate  Veterinary University based in Košice.  In 1959, the Faculty of Animal Husbandry  joined the Faculty of Agronomy  and a new  Operation and Economics Faculty was established. The Faculty of Agricultural Engineering was established in 1969 and the  Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Engineering in 1995. In 1996 ,the law of the National Council of the Slovak Republic no. 324/1996 Coll. renamed  the University of Agriculture to the Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra. In 2003, two separate faculties were created by the division of the Faculty of Agronomy. It was the Faculty of  Agrobiology and Food Resources, and the Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Sciences. The youngest one is the  Faculty of European Studies and Regional Development, which was established in 2004. In 2008, the Faculty of Agricultural Engineering was renamed to the Faculty of Engineering.

History and present of SUA

The university complex of the SUA was built in the period of 1961 – 1966 by architects Vladimír Dedeček and Rudolf Miňovský  and it belongs to the unique works of  European architecture. Nine objects of the SUA campus were declared  national cultural monuments by the Monument Institute of the SR.

The Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra with its educational, scientific and research activities represent the significant part of a European and world educational area. It has become a modern open university which reflects current needs in agri-food sector in a local and global scale. Its mission is to prepare competitive specialists for all areas of  agri-food sector as well as other fields of  national economy – engineering, finance, institutions and bodies of state administrations and others. It has six faculties providing wide range of knowledge in the field of natural, economic, technical and social sciences in 90 study programmes, 12 of them taught in English language. SUA students  have the opportunity to spend a part of their studies abroad through international programmes – Erasmus+, CEEPUS, National Scholarship Programme, bilateral cooperation projects and other programmes.

In 2010, the SUA in Nitra as the first university in Slovakia received a prestigious ECTS Label awarded by the European Commission for ensuring the implementation of the European Credit Transfer System and the mobility of students. It defended this title again in 2013. At the same time, it added to its awards another one – Diploma Supplement Label which certifies that the Diploma Supplement issued by the SUA meets the demanding European standards. Both titles were awarded until 2016. In 2015, the Accreditation Commission included the SUA in Nitra to the seven best ranked universities in Slovakia.

In 2015, a unique AgroBioTech Research Centre focusing on applied research in the field of agrobiology, biotechnology and technology in agriculture, food and bioenergy was opened. The Centre is equipped with the research infrastructure allowing research activities at international level.

The quality of the Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra is confirmed by the results of pedagogical and research activities and achievements in the field of international cooperation, but especially by 73 thousand of graduates who have left the gates of their alma mater in the past 63 years.

 



Gallery of the Rectors

 

 

prof. Dr. Ing. FRANTIŠEK VALENTIN
Rector of the SVŠT | 1941–1943

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/valentin.jpgFrantišek Valentin was born on 5 February 1892 in Hlohovec. After completing the study of theology, he studied chemistry at the Czech Technical University in Prague, and then he served as an assistant lecturer. Within a short time, he earned a doctorate and became a senior lecturer in 1937. Professor Valentin delivered significant discov-
ering results in the study of the structure, characteristics and preparation of saccha-
rides. In 1937 already, he became a member of the Royal Czech Academy of Sciences, and in the same year, he was sent to a study visit at the Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique (Institut Curie). In 1939 he returns back to Bratislava in order to build and organise Slovak natural and engineering education and to promote Slovak science. He became a professor at the Slovak University and Head of the Institute of Medical Chemistry. Furthermore, he provided gratuitous lectures of organic chemistry at a newly established Faculty of Natural Sciences and at the Slovak Technical University. He became the first Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences (1940/41–1941/42), Rector of the Slovak Technical University (1941/42–1942/43), Vice-Rector and Rector of the Slovak University (1943/44–1944/45), President of the Learned Society at Matica slovenská and, after its transformation to the Slovak Academy of Sciences and Arts in 1942, became its first President. Following the war, he was excluded from the university and after February 1948 from the Slovak Technical University, too. He was also employed with the Research Institute of Food Industry (later LIKO Institute). He died on 27 January 1966 in Bratislava.

 

 

prof. Ing. ŠTEFAN BELLA
Rector of the SVŠT | 1943–1945

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/bella.jpgŠtefan Bella was born on 2 May 1880 in Liptovský Peter. He was a water resources manager and Academician of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences. He studied engineering at the university in Budapest. From 1907 to 1939 he served in Croatia, and from 1921 he was a professor at the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Zagreb. From 1941 he served as a professor at the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava, from 1941 to 1952 as Head of the Institute of Melioration, later Head of the Department of Melioration, from 1947 to 1950 he was concurrently Head of the first Institute of Civil Engineering and Water Management, and from 1950 to 1952 Head of the Department of Melioration and Health. In academic years 1943/44, 1944/45 and 1946/47 he held the position of Rector of the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava, and in years 1945/46, 1947/48 and 1948/49 he served as Vice-Rector. Furthermore, he became Head of the Institute for Engineering Sciences of the Slovak Academy of Sciences and Arts and in 1952 Academician of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences. His scientific work and practice was targeted especially at drainage and irrigation. He gained recognition for organising and building the scientific research basis of water management and researched numerous practical drainage- and water-related issues in Croatia and Slovakia. Professor Bella became Laureate of the State Prize (1948), the holder of the Slovak National Prize (1945), and was awarded the Order of The Yugoslav Crown – Fourth Class (1936). He died on 28 December 1952 in Bratislava.


Dr.h.c. prof. PhDr. JUR HRONEC, DrSc.
Rektor of the SVŠT |  1938–1940, 1945–1946

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/hronec.jpgJur Hronec was born on 17 May 1881 in Gočovo. After school-leaving examinations at the secondary school, he continued with studies at the University of Cluj (natural sciences, 1906) and also in Göttingen. He took part in many foreign internship programmes. From 1906 to 1922 he was a professor at the General Upper Secondary School in Kežmarok, in 1923 in Prague, from 1924 to 1938 he served as a professor at the Czech Technical University in Brno, from 1938 to 1950 at the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava, and from 1950 as a professor at the Faculty of Natural Sciences of Comenius University. In 1953 he became Academician at the Slovak Academy of Sciences. He gained recognition for the development of higher education institutions in Slovakia, for establishment of the Faculty of Natural Sciences of Comenius University and the College of Business Studies. From 1938 to 1940 and in 1945/46, he served as Rector of the Slovak Technical University, from 1940 to 1942 as Rector of the College of Business Studies, and from 1946 to 1948 as Dean of the Pedagogical Faculty of Comenius University. Furthermore, he was President of Matica slovenská from 1945 to 1953 and became President of the Artistic and Scientific Committee (1945), President of the Slovak Museum in Bratislava (1946), and President of the Slovak Committee of the Union of Czechoslovak Mathematicians and Physicists (1945). Moreover, Professor Hronec was awarded the honorary Doctor of Pedagogy degree (1949); he is the holder of the National Prize (1948) and of the Order of Labour (1955). He died on 1 December 1959 in Bratislava and is buried in Gočovo.

 

prof. RNDr. JÁN MARTIN NOVACKÝ
Rector of the VŠPLI |  1946 –1948

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/novacky.jpgJán Martin Novacký was born on 11 November 1899 in Tvrdošín. He studied at universities in Budapest and Prague (1925) and worked as a secondary school teacher in Košice, Rimavská Sobota, Břeclav, Prievidza, Žilina and Bratislava. After World War II, he started to work at the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava. After agricultural and forestry studies were singled out from this school in 1946 and the new independent University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering was established in Košice, he went to work there as a university professor (he was appointed a senior lecturer in 1945), and as of 1 December 1946, he became its first Rector and remained in this office until 1948. In 1947 he also began to teach at the Pedagogical Faculty of the Slovak University in Bratislava. In 1950 he became Director of the Botanical Garden at the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the Slovak University in Bratislava. He devoted himself to floristic research on the territory of Slovakia and elaborated in detail his geobotany-related knowledge of Jurský Šúr, surroundings of Šahy, and other areas (Šúr pri Sv. Juri 1942; Flora of Slovakia 1943). Professor Novacký is regarded as a pioneer in development of the Slovak botanical terminology. He died on 19 August 1956 in Bratislava.

 

prof. Dr. Ing. GREGOR CHOMKOVIČ
Rector of the VŠPLI | 1948 –1950, 1956 –1958

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/chomkovic.jpgGregor Chomkovič came from Poland where he was born on 19 April 1891 in Przegonina. He began his studies in Vienna and completed them at the University of Agriculture in Brno in 1922. He started to work as a researcher at the Moravian Zootechnical Research Institute in Brno (1922–27). From 1927 to 1933 he worked at the Agrarian Council in Bratislava, and from 1933 to 1940 he headed the region-
al office of the Agrarian Chamber in Nové Mesto nad Váhom. In 1940 he started  to work as a university teacher at the Slovak Technical University, at the Branch of Forestry and Agricultural Engineering, and from 1941/42 at the Institute of Agricultural Engineering. On 13 July 1943, he was appointed there Extraordinary Professor of Zootechnics. After establishment of the independent University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice in 1946, he continued working as the university teacher for Zootechnics and headed the Institute of Special Zootechnics. In academic years 1948/49–1949/50 he was appointed Rector of the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice, and in 1950/51 he held the office of Dean of the Faculty of Agriculture of this university. After singling out the agricultural studies and founding the University of Agriculture in Nitra, he went to Nitra and became Head of the Department of General Zootechnics until 1962. From 1956 to 1958 he again became Rector of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. Professor Chomkovič was a distinguished pioneer of zootechnical disciplines in Slovakia as well as Member of the Slovak Academy of Sciences. He died on 11 October 1968 in Trenčín.

 

prof. Ing. RÓBERT BINDER
Rector of the VŠPLI | 1949–1950

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/binder.jpgRóbert Binder was born on 27 March 1897 in Stupava. He studied forestry at the Mining and Forestry Academy in Banská Štiavnica and at the Czech Technical University in Prague, from which he graduated in 1920. In years 1920–21 and 1934–42 he worked at the Directorate of State Forests in Banská Bystrica, in years 1932–34 at the Directorate of State Forests in Ľubochňa, and in years 1942–45 at the Ministry of Economy in Bratislava. Since 1943 he lectured forestry disciplines as a part-time teacher at the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava. In 1946 he was appointed a professor at the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice, and from 1952 to 1972 he served as a professor at the University of Forestry and Wood Technology in Zvolen. Professor Binder gained recognition for restoring forestry university studies in Slovakia as well as developing forestry management in the Horehronie region. At the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice, he served first as Dean of the Faculty of Forestry (1946–48) and later as Rector of the university (1949/50). He died on 2 December 1980 in Modra.

 

prof. RNDr. JUDr. Ing. FRANTIŠEK PAPÁNEK
Rector of the VŠPLI |  1950 –1952

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/papanek.jpgFrantišek Papánek was born on 25 March 1912 in Budapest. He studied law at Comenius University in Bratislava (graduated in 1934) and forestry at the Faculty of Forestry of the University of Agriculture in Brno (graduated in 1938). From 1939 to 1946 he worked with State Forests, in 1947 he served as a professor at the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice and later at the University of Forestry and Wood Technology in Zvolen. Simultaneously, he served as Director of the regional office of State Forests in Slovakia (1948–50) and from 1959 to 1971 as Head of the zoning department at the Institute for Forestry Management in Zvolen. He was also a FAO expert in the project of the Caspian forest development in Iran (1967–70). In 1971 he started working at the Research Institute of Forestry Management in Zvolen, specialising in forestry management economy. He worked on forestry assessment, qualification and zoning and laid the theoretical principles for the inte-
gration of forests functions. In academic year 1950/51–1951/52 he was Rector of the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice, in 1952/53–1955/56 Rector of the University of Forestry and Wood Technology in Zvolen. He was awarded a Czechoslovak Medal of the First Class (1946), the Order of the Slovak National Uprising of the Second Class (1950) and other. He died on 25 September 1995 and is buried in Sliač.

 

prof. Ing. BOHUMIL DUŠEK
Rector of the VŠPLI |  1952 –1953, 1955 –1956

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/dusek.jpgBohumil Dušek was born on 23 March 1902 in Dobrá Voda, the Czech Republic. He studied agriculture at the University of Agriculture in Prague, from which he graduated in 1924. He devoted himself to zootechnics, especially to dairy production. No wonder he started to work as a researcher at the State Agricultural Research Station in Zvolen (1924–45). In academic year 1944/45 he began to give lectures at the agricultural institute of the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava. After the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering was opened in Košice, he was appointed its professor and also Head of the Institute of Dairy and Cheese Production at the Branch of Agricultural Engineering. Furthermore, he headed the Department of Dairy Production at the University of Agriculture in Nitra until retiring in 1973. Professor Dušek gained recognition for further development of agricultural disciplines in Slovakia but mainly for preparing the building and selecting the site for the new campus of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. He was in the office of Rector (1952–56) and Vice-Rector (1956–60) of the University of Agriculture in Nitra and Vice-Rector of the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice (1950–52). He died on 6 July 1981 in Nitra.

 

Dr.h.c. akademik EMIL ŠPALDON
Rector of the VŠP |  1958 –1966

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/spaldon.jpgEmil Špaldon was born on 12 May 1918 in Čadca. He started his studies at the Czech Technical University in Prague, continued in Zagreb and graduated from the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava in 1941. He was Director of the Association of Pepper Growers in Bratislava from 1941 to 1944. From 1944 to 1951 he headed the research department of Nitra Mills. In 1947 he was promoted to professors and started to head the Department of Crop Production at the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice. From 1952 to 1958 he served as Dean of the Faculty of Agronomy and from 1958 to 1966 as Rector of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. In years 1966–70 he was Research Secretary of the Slovak Academy of Sciences in Bratislava. In 1970 he leaves for a working visit in the United States of America. In 1965 he obtained his DrSc., in 1968 became a member of the Slovak Academy of Sciences and in 1977 Academician of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences. In 1979 he was conferred the honorary degree of Doctor Honoris Causa at the University of Agriculture in Gödöllő and in 1993 at the University of Agricultural Sciences in Bucharest. From 1965 to 1968 he held the office of Vice-President of the Executive Committee of the International Centre for the Coordination of Research in Agriculture (CICRA) based in Rome and after 1968 became a member of the Executive Committee. In 1980 he became a member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts. Academician Špaldon is a distinguished representative of the biological concept of crop production and a creator of Slovak agricultural science and academic studies. He devoted himself to agro-ecological principles of farming practices of high yields of cereals by which he significantly influenced the agricultural practice in Slovakia.

 

prof. Ing. JÁN TOMOVČÍK, CSc.
Rector of the VŠP | 1966 –1970

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/tomovcik.jpgJán Tomovčík was born on 25 October 1926 in Iňačovce. After having graduated from the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice (1950), he started to work at the Machinery and Tractor Station in Trebišov (1950–51) and subsequently at the Regional National Committee in Košice until 1952. In the same year, he became employed with the University of Agriculture in Nitra and served there until the period of political cleansing in 1970. In years 1956–70 he served as Head of the Department of Mechanisation of Plant Production and in years 1966/67–1969/70 as Rector of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. In 1970 he started to work as a researcher at the Research Institute of Agricultural Machinery in Rovinka. Professor Tomovčík was awarded the degree of Candidate of Sciences and became a senior lecturer in 1962 and was appointed an extraordinary professor in 1966. His field is associated with research issues related to the mechanisation of agricultural production.

 

Dr.h.c. prof. Ing. JOZEF KLIMENT, DrSc.
Rector of the VŠP | 1970–1980

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/kliment.jpgJozef Kliment was born on 3 July 1928 in Čierny Balog. He graduated from the University of Agricultural and Forestry Engineering in Košice in 1952. From 1952 to 1961 he worked at the Commission of Agriculture – Administration of State Breeding Stations, and from 1960 to 1961 he headed the Department of Animal Production of the Slovak National Council in Bratislava. From 1961 he lectured at the Faculty of Agronomy of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. In 1962 he was appointed a sen-
ior lecturer, in 1970 was promoted to professorship, and in 1976 obtained his DrSc. From 1967 to 1978 and from 1980 to 1985, he headed the Department of Genetics and Breeding Biology. In academic years 1963/64–1965/66 he served as Dean of the Faculty of Agronomy and in years 1970/71–1979/80 as Rector of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. In 1978 he was conferred the honorary degree of Doctor Honoris Causa at Martin Luther University in Halle. Professor Kliment gained recognition for further development of zootechnical disciplines in Slovakia and for the development of cattle breeding and improvement, particularly for introducing a dairy breed into the programme of cattle improvement in Slovakia, by which milk production increased significantly. He died on 30 June 2007 in Nitra.

 

prof. Ing. MICHAL KOVÁČ, DrSc.
Rector of the VŠP |  1980 –1990

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/kovac.jpgMichal Kováč was born on 1 April 1936 in Hradište, District of Lučenec. He grad-
uated from the University of Agriculture in Nitra in 1960. All his life until his death, he gave lectures at this University, at the beginning as a lecturer in order to go through the whole process of scientific and pedagogical formation. In 1966 he was awarded the degree of Candidate of Sciences, in 1970 became a senior lecturer, in 1977 obtained his DrSc., in 1979 was promoted to professorship, and in 1984 became Member of the Slovak Academy of Sciences in Bratislava. In academic years 1970/71–1979/80 he served as Vice-Rector and in years 1980/81–1989/90 as Rector of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. As regards scientific and research activities, Professor Kováč devoted all his professional life to the nutrition and feeding of farm animals, especially of poultry in intensive large-scale production units. His research contributed to the development of poultry farming in Czechoslovakia. He died on 6 January 1996 in Nitra.

 

prof. Ing. LADISLAV KABÁT, CSc.
Rector of the VŠP |  1990 –1996

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/kabat.jpg

Ladislav Kabát comes from Kozárovce where he was born on 13 October 1943. He graduated from the University of Economics in Bratislava (Economic and Mathematical Calculations). In 1971 he started to work at the University of Agriculture in Nitra – first as a programmer, then as a lecturer, senior lecturer, professor and Head of the Department of Statistics of the Faculty of Economics and Management. In January 1990, he was appointed Rector of the University of Agriculture in Nitra and remained in this office until 1996. In 1977 he obtained his CSc. at the Institute of National Economy in Moscow. In his research work, he has concentrated especially on numerical issues and solvability of optimisation models of large dimensions, applying exact model techniques to the nutrition and feeding of farm animals, and computer-aided instruction. In 1986 he became a visiting professor at the University of Legon in Accra. In 1988, after winning a prestigious fellowship of the Fulbright Foundation, he became a visiting professor at the University of Delaware, Newark. He is a member of several international associations. He has coordinated the TEMPUS programme and has been involved in the Cost programme. Professor Kabát has participated in research projects organised by the World Bank, OECD, and FAO. From 1996 to 2001 he served at the Headquarters of the FAO in Rome as Director of the Statistical Division. In 2001 he became Dean of the Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences of Comenius University in Bratislava. Currently, he serves as Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Business of the Pan-European University in Bratislava.

 

doc. Ing. MIROSLAV ZIMA, CSc.
Rector of the SUA | 1996 –1999

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/zima.jpgMiroslav Zima was born on 11 May 1945 in Bukovec. He graduated from the University of Agriculture in Nitra in 1968. Since then, he worked as an educator at the Department of Plant Physiology of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. His scientific specialisation was the ecology of photosynthesis and plant stress physiology. He was a supervisor and chief organiser of four international conferences on plant stress. He became Merited Member of the Slovak Botanical Society and a member of the International Society of Plant Physiologists. From 1984 to 1990 he was a member of the Management and from 1996 to 1998 President of the European Society for Agronomy (ESA). In 1998 he was a chief organiser of the Fifth Congress of the ESA, in 2000 a member of the Organisation Committee of the Third World Congress of Crop Production in Hamburg. He was a founder member of the Czechoslovak Academy of Agricultural Sciences, from 1991 a member of the Slovak Academy of Agricultural Sciences, where he served as Vice-President in years 1997–2000 and as President from 2000. As Rector, he became a member of the Management of the Alliance of Universities for Democracy (AUDEM) in years 1996–2000. From 1980 to 1985 he was Deputy Director of UNESCO courses for teachers and scientists of developing countries and from 1985 to 1990 Director of UNESCO courses at the University of Agriculture in Nitra. In the position of Rector, he gained recognition for developing the University, its renaming to the Slovak University of Agriculture, and for developing the university system of education and science. He died on 26 June 2006 in Nitra.

 

prof. Dr. Ing. IMRICH OKENKA, PhD.
Rector of the SUA | 1999 –2006

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/okenka.jpg

Imrich Okenka was born on 19 March 1944 in Hurbanovo. He graduated in 1966 from the Czech Technical University in Prague, with specialising in computers. After having completed the postgraduate study at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences in Budapest in 1979, he earned the doctorate at the Debrecen University of Agriculture in 1980 and was appointed Senior Lecturer for Sector and Branch Economics in 1983. From 1988 to 1993 he served as Director of the Institute of Computer Technology, in years 1991–92 as Head of the Department of Computer Technology and Programming at the Faculty of Economics and Management of the University of Agriculture in Nitra, in years 1993–94 as Head of the Department of Informatics, and in years 1994–99 as Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Management of the SUA in Nitra. He has been involved in the building of departments of informatics, the Institute of Computer Technology of the SUA in Nitra and the Computer Centre of the Faculty of Economics and Management of the SUA in Nitra. As a chief researcher and co-researcher, he has participated in the research of numerous research issues and grant assignments of VEGA and KEGA projects. He is a member of scientific committees in domestic and foreign institutions, as well as a holder of the Order of Ľudovít Štúr of the Second Class and a holder of the Great Medal of St Gorazd, etc. After leaving the University in 2006, he became Director of Agroinštitút Nitra. At the present time, he serves as Vice-Rector of J. Selye University in Komárno.

 

Dr.h.c. prof. Ing. MIKULÁŠ LÁTEČKA, CSc.
Rector of the SUA |  2006 –2010

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/latecka.jpgMikuláš Látečka was born on 13 November 1943 in Nitra. He graduated from the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava. In 1977 he received his scientific qualification Candidate of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences, in 1992 he was appointed Senior Lecturer for the discipline of Agricultural Melioration and in 2000 Professor for the discipline of Landscape Engineering. From 1969 he worked at the Department of Agricultural Melioration of the Faculty of Agronomy (University of Agriculture in Nitra). Later on, he headed the Department of Landscape Planning and Ground Design of the Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Engineering. From 2001 to 2006 he served as Dean of the Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Engineering of the Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra. His scientific research work has focused especially on irrigation. Also, he devoted himself to the revitalisation of water courses and settlement of land ownership. In 2009 he was conferred the honorary degree of Doctor Honoris Causa by Mendel University in Brno. Professor Látečka held the position of Rector from 2006 to 2010.

 

Dr.h.c. prof. Ing. PETER BIELIK, PhD.
Rector of the SUA  |  2010 – to date

tl_files/download/Pictures/UNIVERZITA/rektori/bielik.jpgPeter Bielik was born on 29 November 1952 in Nitra. From 1972 to 1977 he studied at the Faculty of Economics and Management of the University of Agriculture in Nitra. After having completed the postgraduate study, he started to work at the Department of Economics; he headed this department from 1994 to 1997. He was in the position of Vice-Dean and Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Management. Beginning with academic year 2010/11, he has been Rector of the Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra. In 2001 he was awarded a Bronze Medal by the Ministry of Agriculture of the Slovak Republic and in 2002 a Gold Medal by the University of Economics in Bratislava. In 2007 the honorary degree of Doctor Honoris Causa was conferred upon him by Gödöllő Szent István University. In 2009 he was conferred the degree of Professor Honoris Causa at the Delhi School of Professional Studies and Research in India. In 2010 Professor Bielik was awarded the Great Medal of St Gorazd and the Gold Medal of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Slovak Republic. He is Editor-in-Chief of the scientific journal Acta Economica et Informatica and a member of editorial boards of foreign scientific journals in India, the Czech Republic, Serbia and Croatia. In 2012 he was awarded the honorary doctorate by the Hugo Kołłątaj University of Agriculture in Krakow. Beginning with 2009, he has been Director of the international MBA study “Agribusiness and Commerce” at the Faculty of Economics and Management of the Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra.